Thursday, September 4, 2008

Colors of Fall


Photo credit: M.O.H

"These are the days we will remember, These are the times that won't come again, The highest of flames become an ember, And you gotta live 'em while you can, These are the days we will remember." - These Are The Days, Keith Urban

It seems like fall is already already upon us, even thought it doesn't officially start until the twenty something of October. It's barely the fourth of September, and already the temperatures are dropping and the night air is turning sharp. The last four nights, we have had to light a fire in the furnace, using up some of the precious fire wood, just to stave off the chill.

You know it's getting cold when you can build a fire at six or so o'clock in the evening and the house doesn't get too hot. When I was writing this post down in a note pad because the computer was busy, I was sitting out on the steps in the sun, wearing my sweat shirt over a medium thin tee shirt and I didn't get too hot.

Every year, it's agonizing waiting for the raspberries, the blueberries, blackberries and the apples to be ready. In March or April, it always seems like the above mentioned gets ripe in late July, early August, when really, it's late August on.

This year because of the spring rains, everything is later. Our Transparent apples, they are the earliest in the orchard, are two or three weeks late. We just got them picked a couple days ago, so the others are going to be a few weeks behind them.

This morning I was looking at the chestnut trees and noticing how small their prickly burrs - that we cuss when we try to sit down under the tree - are, and how far they have to go before being ready. The blue jays are in a flurry of activity, with the filberts (hazel nuts) and the walnuts being ready.

Oh, I don't know if Mom mentioned this already, but on the twenty-eight or ninth of August, she saw a flock of geese flying south. They were really high, but still, the idea of them leaving so soon. At least the leaves aren't turning yet!

I'm not ready for summer to be over! Or for it to be pitch black when I get up, or when you constantly have to wear at least two shirts. Soon we will be in frenzy to get all the apples and pears picked up, the squash in to cure, the beans put in the green house to dry.

** Hay Update **

Finally got that troublesome hay raked today! If this spell of good weather that we have right now holds like the weathermen are predicting, we should be able to get it baled and in the barn before the next rain. *crosses fingers*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Really enjoyed your post this morning. I snagged a copy of the poem--really hit the spot. I know what you mean about not being ready for the summer to end. Feel a bit bittersweet every evening when we finish up at the barn. Another summer day finished and winter is that much closer. I just don't want it to end.

Paula said...

I hear you about not being ready for summer to end. Although it's gorgeous today, I know that the clouds will be here soon, and will stay for months. I look forward to see what berries you harvest, as well as the apples!

Paula said...

I hear you about Fall being upon us. Although I love all the beautiful fall colors, I miss the long daylight hours and I certainly miss the sunshine warming my face. Seems like summer was quite abbreviated this year. Did you get the hay completed? Looking forward to seeing what you do with the berries and apples!

Linda said...

I love this time of year the best. The days are cooler the workload doesn't slow down maybe but it changes. After the first hard frost there are no longer bugs to bite and after the garden is put to bed and the leaves turn life seems much easier...........until WINTER!

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Pamela, glad you like the poem, it's a great song.

I totally agree about coming in for the night, knowing that you're one day closer to winter.

Paula, I know, it's beautiful one day, and cloudy the next. Just yesterday, we were all socked in with clouds in the morning and it eventually burned of and got hot, but the early morning with sun just peaking over the trees. Got most of the berries picked (yay), but there is still the blackberries.

Linda, Fall isn't so bad, but then, BAM, winter hit and you're back at it again.

Shirley said...

I love fall too,it's such a beautiful season. And hazlenuts! You lucky girl; those are my faves. Haven't had a tree of them since I was a kid.