Monday, August 11, 2008

First broccoli and a summer treat

We picked our our first broccoli of the season this morning, woo hoo! As soon as the first heads are ready, it seems like we're flooded with broccoli, but then it doesn't amout to much after we've gotten it ready for the freezer. This morning, before it got too hot, I went out in the garden and cut the heads that were ready and of course, there was a dog lurking in the shade, patiently waiting for me to finish.

I cut the heads into smaller, bite sized pieces and then Mom will blanch it and then we'll put it in jars, and into the freezer.



The three quarters filled basket made almost two bowls worth of smaller pieces.
After I did the broccoli, I got the idea of making breaded and fried, stuffed squash/zucchini flowers. I got the idea from a Chefs Afield episode that I had seen a couple weeks ago. All you need is squash blossoms, some grated cheese, breading, and olive oil.

Pick as many flowers as you would like - the already pollinated ones work the best. Gently open the top of the flower, it's very delicate, and fill it almost full with water, and swish it around in a circle, still holding it upright, to rinse it. Dump the water out and run water over the flower and then shake it to get off the excess water. Stick them in the fridge if you aren't going to use them right away.

Breading:
3/4 c. flour (more if you're making more than six or seven).
Salt to taste.
Pepper to taste.

Mix together with a fork, or your fingers and set the bowl aside. Heat your pan to medium high, and put in a couple tablespoons of olive oil, or butter if you don't want to use olive oil.
Then, take some of the cheese that you grated, and stuff it into the flower, carefully, roll them in olive oil, and then in the breading. Do them all then put six or seven in your heated pan, depending on the size of the pan. Let them cook about forty-five seconds each side. Then lift them out - I find that tongs work the best - and place them on a platter and if you are worried about grease, put down a paper towel.
Cut the blossom ends off - they are terribly bitter - leave the blossom end on until right before you serve it, because if you take it off before you fry them, they will just fall apart.

This makes a great summer treat that is tasty, easy to make, and takes hardly an time at all!



My faithful companion who dutifully followed me to the garden and waited while I picked the broccoli and then watched, drooling, while cooked the squash blossoms. Thanks, Shan!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the treat! I want more...

threecollie said...

Thanks for the recipe! I always wondered how these were made and we seem to have a lot of blossoms this year.

kdwhorses said...

Great looking broccoli!
Will have to try that treat out, sounds and looks great!
I love my faithful companion, so nice to have a constant supervisor!! LOL!

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Nita, I'll make some today...

Threecollie, Your welcome! We have alot of blossoms too.

Kdwhhorses, yes, the broccoli had nice big head, not like the small button one that I sometimes get!

It must be an aussie and border collie thing, because most other dogs will let you go to the bathroom by yourself! and go to the garden, too!

Paula said...

What a wonderful blog you have! Your photography is great. Speaking of great, that broccoli bounty looks terrific, and your squash blossoms look wonderful. Hmmm ... I have some unsuspecting blossoms in the garden now ... and I am a little hungry! :-)

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Paula, Thank you!!!!

I noticed some new unsuspecting blossoms,too!