Friday, August 1, 2008

Red-tailed hawks, bees, and barn ornaments

Yesterday morning when I was in the house, putting away the laundry, and Mom was going over to water the cows with the pickup, she backed back into the driveway and whistled for me. I went out to see what was the matter, and she told me to grab the camera, there was a Red-tail hawk out in the Four Acre field. I got a couple pictures of him before he flew off to one of his favorite dead cherry trees on the other side the field, right next to were we're going to start cutting hay in a day or two. I got a picture of him in the tree before he noticed me and flew away. Out in the field, he had been eating a rabbit, or maybe a Graydigger (I think they may also be called Columbian Ground Squirrels), but I looked right around were he had been standing and I couldn't find a trace of anything, even though I had seen him eating.





After I took the pictures of the Red-tail, I was walking back into the driveway, and noticed that that the two huge chestnut trees framing the end of the drive way were literally abuzz with bees going about their business. This is my failed attempt at videoing the sound. The bees seemed loud to me, but the camera didn't pick it up, unfortunately. But it did pick up the sound of the baby Red-tail screeching in the background...




The front of the Horse Barn is covered with a solar system, stars, two or three suns, and a moon or two, and swallow house that the swallows don't use anymore.






The swallows used their house for a year or two, but then they quit because they prefer to build their nests of hay and feathers on the sill plates of the barn. I think that the yellow jackets are using the swallow house as of now.

3 comments:

kdwhorses said...

Man what a great shot of the hawk, glad you captured it!

Great pics!

threecollie said...

Very nice job on the red tailed hawk. Hard to get close enough for that much detail. I love seeing the chestnut tree photos too. We don't have those here.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Thank you! Our camera is really good at getting those once in a life time shots in great detail.

It's weird to think of not having chestnut trees around. They're so big and pretty.