Saturday, August 30, 2008

** Dial-up users beware**

**Dial-up users beware, this is kind of a big post**

This is our new cat that we got yesterday. . .No, Wednesday. She's very sweet and friendly and loves to sit in your lap and knead your legs.




Yesterday, after Mom picked the basil, I made pesto out of it. I got sixteen half pints last night, and it looks like I only used a third of the basil. I'm going to make more pesto out of it today, and some that basil will go for roasting the tomatoes that are going roasted in the next couple of days.

Pesto - basil or cilantro

4 cups basil, tightly packed. Depending on how strong you want it, you can pack it looser or tighter.
3/4 c. toasted pine nuts
2 -3 small or medium sized cloves of garlic, peeled.
2/3 c. Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste.
2/3 - 3/4 c. olive oil.


In your food processor, put in your basil, pine nuts, and the garlic, and grind until everything is finely chopped. You may need to scrape down the sides so that you get all the pine nuts. Then, put in the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste, and pulse a couple times until the cheese is mixed into the basil. Start you processor and pour the olive oil in, in a stream and and then stop the processor when the oil is thoroughly mixed. Four cups of basil will make 2 half pints.

Spoon it into jars and put a lid and stick it in the freezer before you eat it all.


Here's the basil, pine nuts and the garlic.


As you can see, I just added the cheese. I don't know if you can see it in this picture, but notice how small the basil is chopped. If it's much bigger than that, you will have too big of pieces if you put in on pasta or something like that.


Mmm, this looks so delicious! I could eat the whole thing!


That's one batch done.

Our reusable lids...


You can't see it here, but there are sixteen half pints.


My helper, who got to lick everything when I was done.

8 comments:

The Wife said...

Yum! That looks so good. Too bad for me, I don't have fresh basil or a food processor! Looks like I need to get both.

threecollie said...

Great pictures...I just wanted to tell you I am having trouble reading you in Firefox. If I load in IE I can read the dark type, but in Firefox I have to highlight it....maybe it is just my computer...

Shirley said...

Your dog looks like he would like some more! Garlic is really good for them, I feed it to my horses when I give them grain.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

The Wife, believe me it will be worth it to spend the money on a FP. I think ours was only $45.

Threecollie, Thank you for telling me, I appreciate feed back on any problems you are having with the blog. I changed the layout and made the text lighter, so hopefully it's easier to read!

Shirley, he does, he's begging me to make more. Do you chop up the cloves, or do you give them garlic powder? I heard it helps with flies too, 'cause then the horse doesn't taste as good.

Paula said...

Well done on that pesto!!! I love that you used toasted pine nuts; using the toasted ones really enhances the flavor. Gosh, I want to reach through the screen and nab a couple of those jars! Your kitty cat is darling. She must be very happy with her new home if she's "making biscuits" on your legs already! I envy your pooch getting to lick up when you were finished! YUM!

kdwhorses said...

Man that pesto looks awesome! I, like the wife don't have any fresh basil or a food processor! :(

Your little helper, is a cutie! He is glass eyed or just have blue flecking in his eyes?

threecollie said...

Easy to read now, thanks!

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Kdwhorses, He's glass eyed. If you use the flash, or the light is just, his all blue eye will be red. I don't know why, but it's kinda cool. Our old dog, here's were always green.

Threecollie, your welcome!